Menù

Visit trani

The Pearl of the Adriatic

The city of Trani has always been known as the 'pearl of the Adriatic' thanks to its irresistible charm and history. It is an important tourist destination thanks to its artistic and architectural beauties such as churches and palaces that bear witness to the glorious past of this maritime city, which is also famous today for the production of a particular type of marble known as 'pietra di Trani' (a precious limestone rock) and the delicious Moscato wine.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

CATHEDRAL OF SAINT NICOLA PELLEGRINO

Trani Cathedral overlooks the sea and is dedicated to the patron saint, St Nicholas Pellegrino, and is undoubtedly the most prestigious building in the Apulian city. A classic example of Apulian Romanesque architecture, the Cathedral was built immediately after the sanctification of St Nicholas Pellegrino, during Norman rule.

The square in front of the Romanesque building lends itself to artistic events of various kinds.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

MONASTERY OF COLONNA

The church of Santa Maria di Colonna was founded, together with the adjacent Benedictine monastery, between the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th century by the Tranese nobleman Goffredo Siniscalco. The main façade makes use of decorative elements typical of Romanesque architecture: the rose window, a carved arch supported by slender columns, a finely crafted architrave (from a pagan monument) and a series of hanging arches on the spire.

Remarkable is the panoramic view that can be enjoyed by climbing to the upper floor, from which it is possible to observe the coast in front of the waterfront, all the way to the municipal villa with the cathedral in the background.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

CASTELLO SVEVO

The Swabian Castle of Trani is a castle built in the city of Trani in 1233 during the reign of Frederick II. At the far left of the municipal villa is the entrance to the ancient fortress designed to protect the eastern end of the harbour: the blockhouse is a fortification placed to protect the entrance to the harbour, on the Sant'Antonio pier.

From the top of the fort, it is possible to admire the entire inlet overlooked by the old town, clearly distinguishing the Cathedral and the characteristic apses of the church of Ognissanti.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

MUNICIPAL VILLA

The villa was inaugurated in 1824 and later enlarged thanks to the reclamation of land immediately to the south, on the coast, in the area known as Canneto due to the unhealthiness of the area. The area is planted with palm trees, holm oaks and pines, and is embellished with flower beds, fountains and children's games.

On the south side is an aquarium containing 18 tanks enhanced with Trani stone, housing some 500 fish of countless species from almost all the world's lakes and rivers, as well as ornamental aquatic plants. On the avenue, opposite the main entrance, is the War Memorial, sculpted in 1923 by Trani-born Antonio Bassi. Walking down the avenue, one comes across a 19th-century chalet, the venue for exhibitions and cultural initiatives by local artists.

The position of the villa offers, on the south side, a splendid panoramic view of the waterfront as far as the Monastery of Santa Maria di Colonna, while the north side provides access to the Fortino, from which one can enjoy the view of the entire harbour inlet and the Cathedral.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

Sinagoga

The Scolanova Synagogue is an admirable example of Apulian Romanesque architecture and stands in the heart of Trani's historic centre. It represents the most important testimony of the city's ancient Jewish quarter.

The synagogue stands on what was once the main street of Trani's old Jewish quarter. It was built in 1246-47, during the heyday of the Jewish community, which already numbered as many as 200 fires around 1160, as reported in his diary by the wealthy merchant Benjamin da Tudela, who came to Trani during one of his long journeys.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

ANTONACCI TELESIO PALACE

After the Antonacci houses were burnt down in 1799, the palace was built on the site in the early 19th century by the Antonacci family and then passed by succession to the Telesio family, who were awarded the title of Duke of Toritto and still live there today.

The palace houses the Carriage Museum inside: a collection of 33 19th-century carriages, mostly belonging to the Telesio family, as well as harnesses and coachman's uniforms. The importance of this collection lies in illustrating the craftsmanship of the time and in bringing to life the history of an entire social class and all those who worked for it.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

Palazzo beltrani

The Museum Complex of the Palazzo delle Arti Beltrani, overlooking the street of the same name in the old town of Trani, in a strategic and privileged position near the Cathedral and the Swabian Castle, is a representative place of the city as in the past it was the home of important noble families. The building, in Renaissance style, has a beautiful façade with the upper part plastered and adorned with friezes on the windows and the basement part with rusticated stone recourses.

Currently, after many years of restoration, the Palace has been turned into a City Museum Complex and, in fact, houses a variety of collections related to the history of the city and its illustrious personalities, including the illustrious painter Ivo Scaringi (1937 - 1998), to whom the Pinacoteca on the second floor has been dedicated.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

all saints church

In the waters of Trani's harbour is the Church of All Saints, also known as the Church of the Templars or of Purgatory, since it was built in the 12th century by the Knights Templar according to the legend of the first crusade led by Bohemond of Altavilla before leaving for the Holy Land, and is today an architectural example of Apulian Romanesque.

Sober and austere, the portico at the entrance is an important architectural singularity of Apulian Romanesque, especially the main façade is carefully decorated with scenes of the Annunciation, while the apsidal façade, facing east, seems almost reminiscent of the majestic Cathedral on a smaller scale.

B&B Le Marinelle's recommendations

Diocesan pole

The Museum of the Archdiocese of Trani-Barletta-Bisceglie-Nazareth was inaugurated in 1975 at the behest of Archbishop Giuseppe Carata in Palazzo Addazi (the former Archiepiscopal Seminary) in order to provide a more appropriate setting for stone and sculptural material from excavations and demolitions carried out in the Cathedral and other churches in Trani. Over the years, the Museum's holdings have been greatly enriched by works and artefacts of great artistic and historical value, which is why in 1998 it was deemed appropriate to create a new arrangement of the collections by also using the rooms of the adjoining 17th-century Palazzo Lodispoto, the backbone of Trani's Museum Centre.

Located in the enchanting Piazza Duomo, it houses the Diocesan Museum, the S.E.C.A. Foundation Typewriter Museum and the Cultural Area on its four levels.